Friday, January 29, 2016

Angels Among Us

I've been thinking a lot about angels lately.  I've especially been thinking about guardian angels, those who are presumed to hover invisibly around us, helping us in countless ways.

When I'd finished writing the 1/23 post on "Time," and I'd reread it for typos before posting, I was almost moved to tears.  I wondered if the colleague, whom I'd described as helping me learn my huge spiritual lesson of "being present," could possibly be a guardian angel, who had taken human form, precisely to infuse me with new understanding of how to be present?

Then, I wondered more.  What is an angel?  Could any of us be an angel if we do something that helps those around us be better people?

If those about us can be our angels, even guardian angels, then, I lost one this week.  On Tuesday, my colleague Sheila surrendered to her year-long battle with cancer.  If there are angels about us, Sheila certainly was one.  She was so kind, caring, quiet and unassuming, but the thing that stands out in my mind's eye about Sheila was her smile.  Her smile seemed to well up from her soul and literally shed light to everyone in her path. No matter what was going on, Sheila had time; there was a deep and abiding presence about her. She always made time to give back.

When my crazy-busy days consumed me, I often wished I had more time to spend with Sheila.  Now I am really sorry for not making it.  I have learned an important lesson on living priorities and taking...making...time for the angels on our paths, while we still have them.

I've been graced by these two amazing angels, walking with me through the hubbub of daily life.  I am so honored to have taken time with my current colleague, just as I regret not having done so with Sheila.

Pondering angels this week, the thought has crossed my mind that I live in a make-believe world.  In this world, I think there are people, each of whom independent with our own paths to follow.  What, I've wondered, if maybe they are all angels.  How would I live differently if I thought that everyone who crosses my path is an angel? How indeed.

Jane Lynch has a new television program "Angels from Hell," and in her somewhat rude, crude, bowdy, and inimitable style plays a guardian angel who irritates the heck out of the woman she is guarding.  As I've pondered that everyone might actually be a guardian angel, Lynch's character brings to mind some of the irritating people in my life.  Maybe they are indeed guardian angels.

There is a Talmudic lesson saying that "Every blade of grass has an angel that bends over and whispers, 'Grow! Grow!'"  The lesson implies that if every blade of grass has an angel, then each of us must have many angels encouraging our ever move or decision.

The Rabbi's Gift is a parable that I have often used to close a leadership retreat.  It tells of a monastery, which has fallen on hard times and is down to just a small handful of monks.  One of the monks visits the nearby hermitage of a rabbi to pray and talk about the problem.  As the monk is leaving to return to the monastery, the rabbi shares an insight with the monk.  He says, "The savior is among you."

Of course, the monk returns and shares this mysterious wisdom.  When the monks believe the savior to be one of their number, they begin treating each other with extraordinary respect and caring, and soon their new internal energy begins attracting outsiders to the monastery, which is soon flourishing.
Like the monks, I wonder what the world would look like if each of us treated those around us as if each were a guardian angel, put on our paths precisely for the purpose of helping us.  I think that is the real world.


1 comment:

  1. Are there Angels in our daily lives? What a great question. My husband has been experiencing an out of blue life threatening set of health issues the past couple of weeks. One of his primary care givers who checked in to the emergency room at one hospital and was with him right as he came back from surgery (in another hospital 40 minutes away) which "saved" him name is Alfie. My initials are ALF. I suspect he is an angel. But then again could just be a coincidence. But what would the fun be it that be. Love to Sheila and safe journey home. I suspect dear Kay that she is now an angel of yours especially at work.

    ReplyDelete