Thursday, December 11, 2014

Reclaiming My Life

I'm not really sure why it is that when I fall out of a habit--even a habit I love--overcoming inertia is so darned hard.

Approaching the end of my second week of normal work hours, I've only contemplated going to the gym again. Now this should not be difficult for me. I have access to free workout facilities in the both the buildings in which I live and work. Furthermore, daily exercise has been part if my daily routine, when I haven't had an injury, for 30 years. I enjoy it! I feel good when I am exercising. This is not an onerous task, but something I enjoy!

Similarly, I very much enjoy my Thursday evening Argentine tango class and miss my dance partner friends. Last Thursday after work I was back and forth about whether to get on the train that would take me to the class or the one that would take me home. I came home.

So when I bumped into a colleague when changing trains this morning, and I shared with her my frustration in not getting back to tango, she said, "it's like going to the gym; the first time is always the hardest."

Yes! That's exactly what it is like. The moment she said it, something inside me clicked. I knew I would love both when I overcame the inertia.

In that moment I sat the intention to change my trends and the sooner the better. After work, I grabbed the workout clothes that had been sitting in my bottom file drawer for months, and I headed to the gym. It was a short workout, but it accomplished the most important thing: it was enough to get me started again. I am sure I will be back soon, maybe even tomorrow; it was fun.

The workout was short because I'd also pledged to get back to tango, and I did. I really enjoyed myself there, too. Most importantly, I have allowed my healthy intentions, and not my inertia, to dictate my life. I truly am reclaiming my life.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment