Saturday, December 20, 2014

There was Water Out There

When working with groups, I've often focused the attention of participants on one part of the room, and then asked them a question about a different part of the room.  Rarely can anyone recall anything for the part of the room away from where they were looking.  What we focus on truly determines what we miss. 

I worked out of town this week at NASA's Stennis Space Center in Mississippi.  By the time I stowed my car, gathered my luggage, and arrived at my room, it was long after dark, and I had a call to make.  The draperies in my hotel room were drawn, and I had no reason to open them.  I slept.  I awakened, got ready, and went to work. 

Tuesday evening I returned before dark and threw the draperies open to get light.  To my amazement, my hotel room looked out over a beautiful estuary.  I believe it was the Pearl River.  The water was as smooth as glass, accented by sailboats at a small marina.  The view literally took my breath away.  I'd had no idea there was such a beautiful view. 

 
 
My discovery really made me think: what else in my life am I missing, just because I'm not looking?  I'm failing to throw back the draperies that conceal magic.
 
Yesterday I spent the day with a fairly new friend, learning to make tamales and talking for hours as we made the ingredients and then assembled and cooked them.  Although a crush of pre-holiday have-to-dos were awaiting, I chose to be present and totally focused on our fun.  It was relaxing and joyful.  I was so pleased with myself and having had the consciousness to turn away from the lists and just be with my new friend.
 
This evening, my focus was on old friends.  The annual task of writing Christmas cards turned joyful as I reveled in the opportunity to stay in touch with people who have been special in my life for decades, some going back to college days.  Once again, I allowed myself to be present to the joy instead of distracted by others things I might be doing.
 
My intentions for the new year are pretty much the same as they've been for a couple years: write more, get more exercise, and spend time building meaningful relationships.  What has distracted me from these important things in the past has been that I focused on the have-to-dos related to my work instead of the choose-to-dos in my personal life. 
 
In 2015, the vivid imagery of the estuary behind my hotel room will remind me to focus on the sources of beauty in my life and be joyfully present to them.

1 comment:

  1. I will take the time today to question what am I missing. I will BE with "How can I allow myself to be awestruck today?"

    ReplyDelete