Thursday, May 8, 2014

Acknowledgement

Our boss has established a new "hall of fame" onto which people can write notes of acknowledgement to members of our division.  I've been mostly away from the office for several days, and a colleague mentioned to me that I had something on the hall of fame.  Wow!  I was shocked. 

Of course, I had to go directly to the wall and check it out.  There was a lovely letter from one of my clients for work I'd done a month earlier. 

I do the work I do because it is in my core to be of service. I love helping people be happier in their work, and I also delight in seeing organizations become more intentional about their work as a consequence.  I've mostly blended into the background, allowing the leader with whom I am working to take credit for improving the organization.  Not a problem for me...at all...

Yet, it felt really good today to get some positive feedback in a work environment which is largely devoid of same. I used to be much better about acknowledging people for their contribution, but when the culture is "that's your job," I've lost that focus. 

As I realized how good it felt today to get my client's acknowledgement, I have pledged to work my acknowledgement muscles more.  Who should I be acknowledging today?  I sent a few quick emails, but I think the look-in-the-eye-and-say-thanks approach is better.  Well, maybe it is better for the recipient, but it is also fun to see someone's eyes light up when they are thanked sincerely.

I haven't issued a challenge for awhile, but this seems like a good one.  I would like to encourage readers to think about the people around you that you haven't thanked for "just doing their job" or playing their role (spouse, mother, dad, friend, etc.) Then "just do it!"  And if you have any good stories to tell, I'm sure we'd all like to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment