Sunday, May 18, 2014

Raise a Joyful Noise

I enjoy my church very much, and I love the sermons that my pastor delivers.  They reflect considerable soul searching and invite us to share an exploration rather than telling us what to do. I also like the commitment to social justice which reflects a dedication to the principles that we say we believe. Many are attracted to our church by the music program.  Me? Not so much.  The music is exquisitely performed; to me, it is too formal, 18th Century, and...it would be nice if more of it were English.  It feels stiff and stodgy.

Today was the day that representatives from the school in South Africa that our congregation helps sponsor were present, and to honor the occasion, the music director had a festival of South African music.  Several musicians played traditional South African instruments.  It was clear in the first hymn today's music was going to be more spirited than usual.  Even the choir that usually feels stiff and stodgy reflected so.

I kept thinking of Psalm 98:4: "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise."   As I looked around the congregation, I noticed bodies swaying and smiles on faces. This is joyful noise.

The closing hymn required us to sing the African words. Many of us were struggling with the pronunciations, when someone started clapping their hands, and in a heartbeat almost everyone had abandoned the challenging words and started clapping with the music.  This was a whole different language we were speaking, and it truly was joyful.  I suspect that it was much more like what we might experience at African-American churches in the capital.

After a number of years of not attending formal church services, I was lured back when watching the movie "Sister Act," which prominently featured an African-American gospel choir.  As I watched the film, I knew what had been missing in my more solitary "worship" and meditation was music.  I freely admit that I've always enjoyed what we used to call "spirituals."  I am not sure what the politically correct term is for that genre of church music, which came into American churches from pre-emancipation slaves, but that music has always made my heart jump a bit.  I feel God in the music.  It is a joyful noise.  Impossible to miss.

Today's music had a similar impact on me.  I know that God wants us to be joyful and to let the world know it.  What better way to have the world feel it with us than in these uplifting African rhythms.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment