Monday, July 7, 2014

My Millennial Friends

I have three Millennials that I have mentored over the years.  I consider all of them friends now.  I love the general optimism and enthusiasm for new things that they reflect. I try to lunch or coffee with each if them at least 2 or 3 times a year.  Today I lunched with one. The other two are on my calendar for the next two weeks. After today, I am almost giddy with anticipation.

As always, today's lunch was a two-way exchange.  Although she has had limited exposure, this young friend enjoys trying different foods, and she always asks me to pick something she's never tried. Since I enjoy different cuisines, I delight in the task.  We ate Belgian today at Washington's Belga Cafe. I cannot even begin to share what a treat it was to watch her eyes light up with each new flavor treat, and there were some good ones.

I always like to think that I enjoy good food, but when I watched her, I realized how much I take for granted. Thanks to her example, I will focus my intention on paying attention to my food in the future.

Her life has been busy since we were last together. Really busy. I think I am too busy, but since she was a child, this young woman has cared for a disabled mother, who recently died. As her water broke, and she was in child labor, her mother had an episode which required 911. There she stood timing contractions while assuring that EMTs had her mother in the ambulance before she headed to the hospital herself. She's helping a friend who has been having serious health issues, parenting a two-year old, and applying for readmission to graduate school, which had been back-burnered due to aforementioned challenges.  I've always respected her ability to deal with personal challenges in her life; now even more than ever.

Really! And I think I am busy? Note to self: whatever I am doing, I could do at least three times as much, especially when what I do is motivated by love.

Next week's lunch promises a full report on MOOC participation. (Massive Open Online Courses). Both that lunch and the one the following week will teach me at least one thing I haven't known how to do with my technology.

So what is the message here? There are several. To start with, every GenXer or Boomer should have at least one Millennial friend. I don't think kids count because I believe parents interact differently with their children than they do as friends.

Second is about the value if cross-generational friendships. Again, I don't think family members--grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles--count. As I reflect, the difference is probably about power and respect, which are different with family members than friends. There may also be something about assumptions. Often times we are concerned with making sure family members are making good decisions to take care of themselves. We tend to respect the judgment of friends or think it isn't our business.  I think everyone should have at least one friend in a generation ahead and at least one in a generation behind.

Next is certainly about the opportunity to learn from everyone. Whatever I've shared in mentoring with these three has been returned many times over...and I was never counting.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhonehe

No comments:

Post a Comment