Saturday, July 26, 2014

The Cycle of Life

My Saturdays in the summer have almost always started with a trip to whatever Farmers Market is near for almost 30 years. I love it even when my refrigerator hasn't even been emptied from last week's visit, as was the case today.

Just walking among the stalls, seeing the splashes of color like still life paintings, and absorbing the variety of smells that waft from the fresh fruits, vegetables, and especially the herbs is worth the trip.

Today I could hardly restrain myself until I got home, rinsed the huge fresh blackberries and peeled the peaches that dripped with sweet juices to savor a combination that is among my favorites. Yum!

The cycle of nature is like the cycle of our spiritual lives. In a few weeks the very fruits that are at their prime today will fall to the ground, rotting away from their seeds to plant the beginnings of next summer's larder.

In mystical traditions, it is the same with our lives and our spiritual growth. In the fall, more precisely around the time during which the Jewish Calendar begins a new year, we plant spiritual seeds for what we want to learn and how we want to grow. During the winter we have the opportunity to nurture those intentions, and if we have been faithful to them, about this time we should begin harvesting the fruits of our labors.

As I ate my delicious, peak-of-the-season fruit today, I wondered what I will be harvesting this fall. After a brutal work year, I recently received a promotion for which I am grateful, but I am more concerned about reaping the spiritual fruits of my labors.

Last fall I recommitted to my writing, and I started writing this blog fairly regularly. I hope that I've planted some spiritual seeds as I've encouraged us to come together through a ribbon of love, play the Grocery Store Game, and most recently encouraged making miracles. I've written several chapters of my memoir, and very slowly made progress at getting The Game Called Life available as an ebook. I still have two months to make progress on those projects.

I've kept with my commitment to get to know my neighbors, and after three eye surgeries, I have much improved eyesight.

As I reflect on this cycle of life, I know there are things that could benefit from more attention, like more exercise and dance, and being more open to love. At this 10/12 of the way through my spiritual year, I still have time to reflect on my intentions and redirect where I've slacked on my intentions. That assessment will be the focus of my Sabbath practice tomorrow, as I attempt to be all that God would have me be in this life...one year at a time.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhonetge

1 comment: