Sunday, October 26, 2014

Lesson 2 -- This is the Day the Lord Hath Made

The second spiritual lesson that I am undertaking for the year ahead as a result of my retreat in Greece is to celebrate each and every day in its perfection.  Those who read "Coveting" (10/2/14) will recall that I was deeply moved by the concept that any time we wish for anything in our lives to be different than what it is, we are "coveting." We miss the value of what is because we are caught up in what it might be. 

During my reflective time I pondered, how would I word an intention for growth that meant "loving what is."  Each time I would think about it, a single scripture would immediately come to me:

"This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

If I was not going to wish my life to be different than the gift God had given me, that scripture captured what I needed to do.  I must be aware that God had made this particular day expressly and intentionally for me.  This day is God's gift to me, whatever it is.  My job is to rejoice and be glad about the gift, not to complain about what God had chosen not to give me in this day.

I will be the very first to say, this is a very difficult lesson.  First, I have to keep myself conscious each and every day that this day is God's gift to me.  That is the really hard part.  When I remember that the day is God's gift, I find that being intentional about rejoicing in what is happening is easier.  That old thing about being conscious is the hard part. 

You will recall that my intention for the year ahead is to open my heart, find intimacy, and create connection.  I cannot do any of those without being conscious.  Even more important though is that if I am wishing to be somewhere else having some other kind of experience, I will be guarded and defensive.  If I am guarded, how will I ever open my heart, and without an open heart, I am hopeless for find intimacy or create connection. 

Today celebrating the day God had made for me was easy.  It was the most perfect blue sky, sunny autumn day imaginable.  I had almost nothing I had to do.  I just completely enjoyed everything I did: you might say I was rejoicing and being glad.  The challenge will come tomorrow when I am thrust back into my work environment.  This is my spiritual lesson, and it will be work.  And, I will rejoice and be glad about learning this important lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment