Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Everything's a gift, right?

Many spiritual traditions have some tenet of faith about everything being a gift from God. Most of the time I believe that. Today I am prone to ask, does that include colds?

I'd been a long run--26 years, I believe--without a cold until last year. My first after that long spell really flattened me. Then, I visited that sweet baby, which I wrote 10 days ago, and she was coming down with a cold. You can guess the rest of the story. It's been a week now, and it seems like I am worse instead of better.

What's the gift here? I came up with the truth that this makes me appreciate how healthy I am most of the time. There was also the passing thought that I push myself too hard, and the cold is to slow me down. It is very busy time at work, and I am a key single point of failure in several endeavors. I only slowed down to the extent that I came in three hours late, but I ended up staying late. Hardly seems like it counts.

So, what is the gift in a cold? I think I'll sleep on that--literally.

If you have thoughts, I'd welcome them. I think my prayers of gratitude would be more heartfelt if I had a clearer idea of what it am grateful for.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment