Sunday, February 2, 2014

Five days ago when I walked to the Metro the wind-chill temperature was -9 degrees Fahrenheit.  Even though earlier on this Ground Hog Day Punxsutawney Phil predicted another six weeks of winter, this afternoon it was 63 when I decided to take a break from writing and go for a walk.

I saw lots of runners and dog-walkers and almost as many bicyclists.  There were lovers holding hands and walking, and a group of junior high school aged girls giggled together.  I saw mothers with babes in strollers and watched a man get a good workout pushing a double-wide stroller up a hill.  There were old men walking with canes, and I saw one young mother helping her four-year old ride his first bicycle with training wheels.
 
As I walked, I was reminded of an Albert Einstein quote: "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."  After three periods of bitter cold this winter, it is hard for me not to think about everything being a miracle today, and judging from all the company I had outdoors, I am not the only one seeing miracles.

No comments:

Post a Comment