Saturday, February 1, 2014

Transitions

Former Today Show host and herself an aging Baby Boomer Jane Pauley has a new book, entitled "What's Your Next Move?" She says the average mid-life transition takes three years. She describes a process of trying different things until we hit the right thing.

I know that each of my own transitions has taken time. For me, each has included a period of restlessness, followed by impatience as I know something isn't right but don't quite know where I'm going. Finally, and surprisingly easy, is the just-do-it stage: I know what I must do, and taking action is all that is left.

I wrote today with fervor. I was only jarred back to full consciousness after about four and a half hours of writing by my phone when an incoming text set it vibrating. I've been discontented with my work situation for some time now. These several weekends of writing have confirmed where I am going, but I haven't quite seen the way forward.

So to Pauley's question about what my next move is, I don't quite know the final chapter of this transition, but being back in touch with the writer in me has been deeply satisfying. Wherever I land, the ability to sink deeply into my passion for effortless hours must be part of it. If there is a way of being one with God in the here and now, this must be it. This I truly know in my heart.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment