Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Hold on!

I can't remember where I heard what I am about to relate, but it's been years ago.  It may have been Carolyn Myss or Mary Anne Williamson  The story goes that you turn your life over to God, and the first thing that you hear is, "Thank you."  The second thing that you hear is, "Hold on!"

The wind is howling outside--really howling, like shake-the-windows kind of howling.  It was 70 today in Washington, and tomorrow single digits are promised again.  That is the calmest thing in my life right now.  Rather than resist, like a surfer, I've learned to ride the waves.

I turned my life over to God decades ago, and I have to admit that it has been a ride. But, then again, that is how I learned to surf. We are now in Lent, and each year at this time, I find this force that I call God toys with me a bit.  Things are almost always unpredictable. Often good things happen. Always unexpected things occur.

Today two people in my office who have fought me for years were actually nice to me...both...on the same day...actually in the same hour.  Now that is certainly unexpected.  I am not sure I am ready to say it is good, because this feels more than a little like waiting for the other shoe to drop. For today, however, I am grateful...even if a bit mystified. 

There are definitely times when it is better to ride the waves of the unexpected than to fight the unreality of expectation.  I'm holding on as I get out my surf board.

No comments:

Post a Comment