Saturday, March 22, 2014

Sabbath

Although I grew up in the American "Bible Belt," where going to church on Sunday, followed by a big Sunday dinner which often involved inviting friends from church or family, there were never any verbalized strictures around the Sabbath.  In fact, we almost never used the word.  I can remember asking my mother sometime in my grade school years, what "Sabbath" was.  Her response was inexact if not imprecise: going to church--for Christians Sabbath is Sunday and for Jews it occurs on Saturday.  That told me when it was and what people did, but it really never said what it was.

The Sabbath in the Abrahamic traditions derives from God's creation of the world in six days and God's rest on the seventh day.  In 1994 I began strictly observing a Sabbath (strict by my definition)--a day of rest each week. Most of the time, I observe on Sunday, but occasionally, I choose another day.  In the beginning, I spent most of the day reading spiritual writing and meditating; then, at 4 p.m., I would walk two blocks to a Kundalini yoga class, which ended in another meditation.  I would often meet a friend for dinner at the end of my day.

Over the years, my practice has morphed to fit with circumstances in my life.  For a period of time, my job required me to travel six days a week, and the only day I had at home was needed for laundry, opening mail, paying bills, watering plants, and, of course, packing for another week.  Although I travelled much of the day on Sunday, I didn't work.  Even on the plane I'd meditate. I would read spiritual material. Cooking is a delight to me, and I never consider it work.  I often cook on my Sabbath. Since taking up dancing, dance has frequently been part of Sunday evenings.  It is the most joyful thing I do. I am quite comfortable dancing on my Sabbath. All these activities feed my soul and renew me.

Various religious traditions do have strict guidelines for the Sabbath.  In the 1981 Oscar-winning movie, "Chariots of Fire," athletes were not to train on the Sabbath.  Now some people take a Sabbath from electronics. 

A friend who knew my practice gave me a copy of William Muller's 2000 book, Sabbath. Muller describes the evolution of the Sabbath. In ancient times, he says, the Sabbath "created an oasis of sacred time within a life of unceasing labor." He continues that in our harried modern lives a Sabbath can be a "special time of rest, delight, and renewal--a refuge for our souls."

He describes the Sabbath as a "time of sacred rest to refresh our bodies and minds, restore our creativity, and regain our birthright of inner happiness."  Ah!  Although they have varied to include church services, time with friends, a hike in nature, lunch with friends, walking to the National Cathedral and spending time sitting or napping in the Bishop's garden, or watching "Super Soul Sunday" on OWN, my Sabbaths have generally been so.  They truly renew me. I am happy and peaceful. The key thing for me has always been that I would not do "work."

For the last 36 hours, I have been agonizing over the upcoming Sabbath.  I have a number of very big projects with immediate, eternally-driven deadlines at work.  My whole team is working very long hours, so there is no one to whom I can off-load work. I will facilitate a three-day retreat this coming week, and I would usually spend four or five days preparing.  Because of other projects, I had no time before Friday afternoon to prepare.  I worked Friday afternoon and early evening, and I've work about six hours today, but I am far from ready.

If I don't work at least a few hours on Sunday, even with a marathon Monday, I won't be at all prepared for the meeting on Tuesday.  Just thinking about it created stress.  I would rather work on Sunday and have a saner, more satisfying week.  But, this is a slippery slope; if I make this exception, will it become easier the next time deadlines encroach on my Sabbath.  Will my boss come to expect me to work my weekends, as has happened before when I travelled?  With the crazy pace, I need a Sabbath.

What to do?  I will go to church and probably watch Super Soul Sunday when I return, but I will work several hours.  I will take Friday off...no matter what...and renew myself after the retreat is behind me.  I am uncomfortable with the solution because having become accustomed to a Sabbath, I know how much I need one, especially before several days of facilitation.  However, I am unwilling to pull an all-nighter on Monday because I took Sunday off, and I get great joy from serving my client groups well.  This week I accept a Sabbath in a different form and commit to return to rest and renewal next week.

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful compromise....yes Sabbath is so needed...I take Sabbath often during the week and at least once a day. It makes all the difference in my happiness and my performance at home and work...

    ReplyDelete