Sunday, March 9, 2014

Skip The What-ifs


On NPR's "All Things Considered" recently, I was literally stopped in my tracks by a story.  Was I hearing what I thought I heard?  Sure enough.  18-year-old Kayla Montgomery won the title for her distance in track and field in North Carolina, making her one of the country's fastest young distance runners. She is currently ranked 21st in the nation in the 3,200 meters and will soon compete nationally.*

While that accomplishment is commendable, her title and ranking are not what make her story extraordinary.  What makes her stand out is that she has accomplished them while having multiple sclerosis.  She cannot feel her legs much of the time, and her coach must meet her at the finish line to catch her, or else she will fall on the track and not be able to get up.

I personally cannot imagine how she does this, but she has the heart of a champion. She is obviously good at her sport, she loves it, and she wants to be the best.  What is even more remarkable about Kayla is her attitude.  In the NPR piece, she says, "For a few years, I was terrified that I might not be able to run tomorrow or the next day. I kind of decided that that wasn't really helping me and I wasn't happy living like that. So I stopped focusing on the what-ifs, and [started] focusing on what I'm able to do now."

Boy, am I ever humbled!  She's ranked 21st in the nation, she can't even feel her legs, and she won't let herself be stopped by what-ifs.  One of those what-ifs is falling on the track and not being able to get up.  That  happened to her recently.  Motivated by another competitor passing her, she grabbed a fence, pulled herself back to her feet, and continued the race.

Now, just what is it that I've been putting off doing because of what-ifs? Kayla's inspiration tells me that if she could pull herself back to her feet and finish the race, there really isn't anything I couldn't do, if I was willing to embarrass myself a little and figure things out when they happened. You see, if did fall on the track of my life a few years ago, but unlike Kayla, since I pulled myself to my feet, I've been limping along on someone else's dream rather than my own. 

I think of how many times I've been stalled because of concerns about things that might go wrong again, when really all that matters is that I get started on my life. Even taking a single step in the direction I want to go is better than being a stuck in someone else's life.  When I finish this column, I plan to sit down and make a list of things I would do if there were no what-ifs and then figure out something I can do to start them in the next two weeks.  The only way I can really fail is if I don't show up--for my life and my dreams.  I've been doing that too much in recent years.  Now, it is time for me to find the heart of the champion that I can be and get started.

*http://www.npr.org/2014/03/08/287751438/catching-kayla-running-one-step-ahead-of-multiple-sclerosis

1 comment: