Sunday, April 6, 2014

Co-creation in Community

In The Alchemy of Fear I wrote about what I called co-creation in community.  What I meant is that a group of people who work together to create something new that none of us could have created alone, but because of our shared commitment to a goal and our varied gifts and talents, we make magic happen...together.

In Leading from the Heart I told about a daily occurrence of co-creation in community that happened at the newspaper where I worked for the first several years of my professional career.  In every 24-hour period, people from throughout the building would pull together separately, and somehow every day we produced a newspaper.  Although it happened, literally, like clockwork at 1:10 p.m. every day, to me it was always a wonder.

Last week a group of people from my organization, many of whom had never met, assembled from sites all over the country.  Together we co-created in community.  It had been a very long time since I'd experienced that feeling.  Work projects in recent years have almost always been assembled parts of individual work. The knowledge work equivalent of the old assembly line in factories.

Divide-and-conquer is how I used to describe it to my university students when I'd been assigning a group project.  "I will know whether you have divided up the work and prepared your pieces individually or worked as a team," I'd say.  Yet, in any given semester, rarely would more than one group actually work as a team.  And, I did know it.  In fact, their classmates knew it as well, but they may not have known exactly what they were observing.  The students rated each other's presentations, and, inevitably, the ones that scored the highest were the ones that I thought had worked together as a team--unified in a common goal.

The design project in which I participated last week demonstrated the best co-creation.  Each of us brought significant experience in design, but our various expertise was in different aspects, colored by different experiences in different organizations.   Although there were a couple people, who tried to divide-and-conquer us, with the exception of one time, we resisted.  The resistance wasn't unpleasant, and in fact, it might be more accurately described as persisting as a team rather than resisting fragmentation.

At the end of the second day of design, I am certain that we had accomplished way more than any of us had anticipated could be done in two days.  Not only did we get more done, but the quality of the work was much more solid because it incorporated so many perspectives. Often an idea would be brought forth and we would play with the idea, collectively moulding it into something even better. It was the knowledge work equivalent of an old "barn-building," when everyone would assemble to construct a neighbor's barn in one day.

The word "team" or "teamwork" gets thrown around a lot these days: we have discovered the magic of co-creation in community in both expediency and quality.  Yet my experience has been that the activities assessed as teamwork are really divide-and-conquer assembly of parallel projects.  It happens everywhere: at work, in our families, in community groups, and even in churches. 

Co-creating in community is really a sacred thing, touching the souls of those who engage together in making something that none could do alone.  Doing so lifts the human spirit.  I worked very hard last week, and at the end of the week, I had more energy than on a day off.  My spirit had truly been lifted.  I am grateful for this opportunity to have been touched by my work with this exceptional group of colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment