Monday, April 21, 2014

Dance as a Metaphor

I was having lunch recently with someone, who shares my love for dancing.  We do different kinds of dance, but each of us enjoy our respective sports. Our conversation had covered many topics but most were spiritual in nature. As we talked about dance, I said to her, "I think that dance is a metaphor for our relationship with God." She was eager to hear more.

To start with, we need to be in agreement with God about what we are creating.  When we share the intention to fulfill the purpose for us being in human form with God, it is like dancing with a great dance partner with whom we want to cocreate a wonderful dance experience. 

Of course, knowing our respective parts is important.  I am sure that God knows His part, just as I trust that most of the better leaders with whom I dance know their parts.  But as a follower, I must know how to execute the figures in which I am led.  If he leads something I don't know, then I am probably not going to do very well.  I have put in lots of hours learning and practicing many figures so that I can respond appropriately to whatever is led. 

The same is true with my relationship with God.  I've been given certain gifts and talents, and it is my responsibility to develop and practice them so when I get a lead to use them, I have the skill to follow.  I think that I have a gift for writing, which I've honed since grade school. I was a high school journalist and studied writing in college. Every job that I've had has required me to do some kind of writing, allowing me more practice.  In a meditation in 1993, when I was asked to write a book, I had the developed the talent to execute "the figure that God led."

Similarly, I began speaking before large groups of people, up to 350 at a time, when I was in junior high school because young people at my church were expected to speak to the congregation from time to time.  Over the years, I had many opportunities to speak and took them.  When Leading from the Heart came out, and I was solicited for keynote addresses, I had developed my talents, so that I could follow the lead.

While it is important for me to know my part, I have periodically had the opportunity to dance with a leader who is so excellent, that he can lead me through a figure I've never done.  If I maintain good technique, the leader's skill will carry me.  I've had those kind of experiences in my dance with God as well, when I've encountered a situation new to me, but I've been able to flow through it, as long as I kept listening intently. 

As important to note, however, is what I shouldn't do in my dance with God. To put it simply, "Don't resist!" There are two ways that I can resist in dance, and I think both apply to my relationship with God as well. On occasion, for some reason I feel like doing a particular step. Often, doing so is the result of a habit: people that I have danced with a lot do a particular sequence of figures, and I don't pay attention to where my leader is going.  Off I go in other direction.  It isn't pretty.

When I am dancing, I have to remember who is leading and who is following.  If I second guess or anticipate my partner, again I go off in another direction.  Once again, it isn't pretty.

I think that we often get so caught up in habitual living that we forget to really listen to what God is saying right now.  We just autopilot along and miss the lead.  Similarly, if we try to figure out where God is going on, and we try to take over the controls, I can almost promise it is not going to be a good experience.  The partnership has to be a 1:1 relationship. God leads; we follow. One step at a time.  Then God leads again; we follow again. 

Years before I moved to Washington, God had been telling me to move here.  I thought I'd do it my way and find a job here first.  That wasn't what I was supposed to do.  I was not only not successful finding a job before I finally moved, but God seemed to need to strip me of most everything I had in North Carolina to get me to move.  Finally, and fortunately, I got it.

Like my advice to the homeless man in yesterday's blog, we just have to listen and follow.  When we do, we can do a beautiful dance with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment