Sunday, April 20, 2014

Great Advice from a Surprising Source

There are more homeless people in Washington than there should be, and on Easter Sunday they are out in force, soliciting hand-outs from people who are dressed in their best "church clothes."  So it as that I was walking from having had lunch with a friend after church, when a man on a bench explained to me that he was a little down on his luck and asked for money.

Those who have read this blog for a while will recall that my encounters with the homeless have sometimes ended up being humbling for me.  (See "Expect the Unexpected," 12/14/13)  Why should I expect one on Easter Sunday to be any different?

I explained that I felt it was important to trade life energy with life energy.  I had spent my life energy earning money, so if I were to give him my life energy in the form of money, he would have to give me something of value in exchange.  He was a bit startled, and then he thought for a moment.  Slowly he got a grin on his face as he pondered what he could give me.  "I'll give you a quote which will change your life."

I agreed that would be a good trade, so he started with one quote, but stopped.  "No," he said, "I've got a better one."  Then he said, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind..."  I recognized it instantly as being most of the New Testament scripture of Mark 12:30.  I said that I was certain that would change my life.  Then I asked him, "If that is such good advice, why aren't you following it?"

A bit startled again, he told me that he prayed every day, and he told me what he prayed.  "Do you listen to what God says?" I asked.  He seemed dumbstruck.  "God will tell you how to get out of your fix, but you have to take time to listen to what he says."

"I will," he said, "I will!"

With that I handled him some money, and I told him that I was sure he was right, "Your quote will change my life, and it will change yours, too."  With that I continued on my way.

His quote was a good reminder, and my advice to him was good advice to me. 

When asked how she could work with the lowest of the low in India, Mother Teresa is said to have responded, "I look at all of them as if they are Jesus in one of his most distressing disguises."  I think I understand.  I often think that God shows up as a homeless person to have a conversation with me that I really need to have.  Today I am sure of it.

1 comment: