Monday, January 16, 2017

Big Chunks and Little Ones

Last week when I was re-reading The Game Called Life, I paid particular attention when "guardian angel" Helen helped Lizzie figure out how she could manage resolving many broken commitments. "Take on the big chunks first, and then work in the smaller tasks around the edges as you have time," was the gist.

I do have several big projects that require a lot of time, and I've been being frustrated that I can't get to my sorting project.  Last night I had enough time when getting ready to go dancing to try on several dance outfits that I really like but haven't worn for a while.  With each, I figured out why I hadn't worn them for a while.  While I like them, for one reason or another, each just didn't look good on me any more...if it ever did.  I quickly accumulated quite a stack.

Today, I finished a course assignment 10 minutes before a conference call.  After a quick bio break, I took eight minutes and was able to sort through one whole shelf of books.  I am still not sure that I want to keep all the books that made the first cut, but I was able to par two of one of my favorite books down to the marked copy and five organizational behavior textbooks down to two. I have a stack of books a foot high that are going. When I have more clarity about the future, I can decide whether keeping any makes sense, but this winnowing is progress.

Before going to the grocery this evening, I took a minute at the pantry to throw out more gifts that have been sitting there for years. I also started reading labels more carefully and found some ingredients that don't fit with the health coach role. And, I started eating out of my freezer.

Years ago I recall coaching a man who had purchased a piece of land many years earlier to build his dream home, but because of children in college and related expenses, he lived on the property in an old, beat-up mobile home that he hated.  Working together, we identified a list of things that he could do to make progress toward the new home that didn't cost much money, but they would allow him to make progress.  Finally, when the daughters graduated, he was in a position to frame in the dream home and begin doing finish work on the weekends.  I could see a real shift in his self-image as soon as he saw that his living situation was a vehicle instead of a rut that he might never escape.

Although I live a pretty busy life, every day I fritter away a few minutes here and a few minutes there because these little bits of time between activities don't seem sufficient to accomplish anything meaningful.  Today I was reminded that if we stay with our intentions, we can really do a lot in little bits around the "big chunks" in our lives.  Eventually, all the little pieces add up and take us where we want to go.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN! We can make a huge impact in our lives and the world one minute at a time! GO Girl!!!

    ReplyDelete