Friday, November 29, 2013

Being the Change We Want to See

The Pope has set off quite a stir this week.  His comments were a major subject on three different weekly news analysis programs this evening and generated two emails to me from non-believers not accustomed to pay the Pope much attention.  What he said shouldn't have been that earth-shattering. He said that trickle-down economics doesn't work, and that the rich are getting richer and the poor getting poorer.  Income inequality has been a major concern of economists for some time, and that it is happening, and has been for some time, is supported by solid data.

So, then why are his remarks creating such a stir?  One commentator spoke to the fact that we are each human beings with a right to dignity and basics of food, clothing, shelter, and health care.  Another conversation spoke of his authenticity in spurning the trappings of his position, living simply, and helping the poor.  These are not the normal grist for news analysis.  I say, "Hurrah!" that he has started a conversation.

Earlier this evening another story brought a topic to the news that we don't usually hear.  A Mormon bishop in Utah dressed as a homeless person and had a professional make-up artist create a realistic disguise.  He stood outside the church, greeting parishioners as they arrived for church last Sunday.  A few were nice to him, but most ignored him. Some disparaged him.  One even asked him to leave the church property. 

When he came in front of the congregation and removed his disguise, the bishop said the gasps were audible.  Some even cried.  I got a lump in my throat, listening and thinking about a couple of homeless men that I walk by most every day, without even making eye contact with them. Like many in the bishop's congregation probably did, I think of myself as a good person. Me the person who wants us all to connect, heart to heart, and I don't even look at the homeless people.

So, I circle back to the pope's authenticity.  People listen because he walks his talk.  He is able to start a dialogue about human dignity because he lives that which he speaks.  Thank you, Pope Francis, for showing us how to walk our talk. This evening I will pray for authenticity, that, as Gandhi said, I may be the change I want to see in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment