Sunday, November 10, 2013

Doing nothing is doing something

I have four days off this weekend, and I came into this time with several big decisions to make.  After each decision comes a time-consuming and deadline-driven project.  I needed this chunk of time my long weekend would have provided to do the associated projects.  The decisions may be life-changing and certainly life-altering.  These are not decisions I want to make with my head, but instead, I want to be guided by what I know in my heart. 

In an earlier post I apologized for making it sound so easy to follow the wisdom of our hearts.  Today I sit and so far nothing has come, and three days of my project time have passed.  The closest I've gotten is to hear the words "You know in your heart" over and again.  I am sure I do but I am having a very hard time getting enough clarity to translate into something that is actionable in the project world.

As I write this post what comes to me is that "doing nothing" can be "doing something." I believe there is wisdom in the I Ching about acting by not acting. Our action orientation makes us believe that if our hearts tell us something, it must be something we can act upon.  I think my heart is telling me to do nothing right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment