Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Honoring Christmas

Yesterday I heard a Charles Dickens quote that was new to me: "I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year."  The quote really moved me and started me thinking about what it means to honor Christmas.  As I reflected over my writings in this blog over the last couple of weeks, I have written about Christmas as being light in the darkness, hope, love, acceptance,  memories, friends, and being present. 

When I read the quote, I think what my brain was doing was plugging all those qualities into Dickens' words, and they are powerful indeed.  Think about it: "I will honor being light in the darkness, hope, love, acceptance, memories, friends, and being present in my heart, and try to keep them all year."  That is quite an assignment.  I am sure that I will slip many times, but I will hold the intention to be those things in my heart and to try to keep them all year.  Even if I slip, holding that intention is certain to have a powerful impact on my life and those of people I touch.

My best wishes to all of you for "honoring being light in the darkness, hope, love, acceptance, memories, friends, and being present in my heart, and try to keep them all year."  Now that would truly bring the magic of Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. Well said! I would add one more - compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, but I hadn’t written about that. Sounds like a good topic to write about though.

    ReplyDelete