Saturday, December 14, 2013

Expecting the Unexpected

By now, I should just trust that when I am being guided, something extraordinary is going to happen. For some crazy reason, I continue to be surprised, sometimes even awe-struck. So it was this afternoon, when I met Alexander.

But first I should share a little back story. My day started with a special docent tour at the National Gallery of nativity art by the Old Masters. I enjoy art but really don't know much about it, so I am like a sponge when I am around someone so knowledgeable. When we finished around noon, though, I was snapped back to my busy to-do list. I had only this afternoon to do most of my holiday shopping, and I really wanted something fresh to wear to a dance this evening. While I could have gone off racing, I didn't. Instead of slipping into high gear, I meandered with ease. I noticed the clever art on the windows of the Starbucks, and I even chuckled outloud at the "To..." label someone had stuck on the outside of a window painted with a gift box and ribbons on the inside.

Then, I started walking by a number of homeless people, who were panhandling. I gave small amounts to two before entering a store. When I came out, I automatically turned right toward the Metro which was just a short distance when I got a clear message: "Walk!" OK: my next destination was just one Metro stop. Then, I was guided very specifically on my route, walking by several more panhandlers.

Then, Alexander asked for money for coffee. (At this point, of course, I didn't know he was Alexander.) I immediately knew that I was to say "yes" to this tall, thin African-American young man with dreadlocks and goatee. Almost as quickly, I knew I was to take him for coffee, not give him money. For the 150 feet to the McDonald's, my conversation was guided. The short version is that I bought Alexander coffee...and lunch, and I stayed to talk with him.

To say this was a most unexpected conversation would be an understatement. Alexander had been in DC for two years, since the death of his mother, to do research at the Library of Congress. He pulled out a stack of papers (2" high) to show me the genealogical research he'd been working on. We talked for at least an hour, a conversation that touched on algebra, genetics/chromosomes, farming, law, etiquette, posture (I straightened mine,) and theology. We also talked about doing good in the world, gratitude, following what Alexander called his "zeal," and helping others be better. His vocabulary was impressive even as he talked about wanting to get his GED.

I say "we" because while I was engaged in the conversation, mostly Alexander was talking like someone starved for someone to listen. Twice he stopped and asked if I didn't have somewhere else I needed to be, and twice I quite honestly said I was enjoying the conversation and learning from him. I learned stuff, but mostly I learned about my judgment. I also learned how grateful I was that I had taken time to listen to the voice that had brought Alexander into my life today. I had totally forgotten my to-do list.

As we parted, I looked Alexander in the eye and sincerely thanked him for allowing me to sit with him during lunch. I asked him to do one thing for me. "Please," I said, "will you do something kind for another person before you sleep?"

He smiled from ear to ear as he said, "I will!" The truth is that he already had. The Grocery Store Game keeps delivering the unexpected.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment: