Thursday, December 12, 2013

Smile!

On my way out of the building after work this evening, I caught a glimpse of someone from the corner of my eye, and I literally turned in place to go back and speak to him.  This man has the best smile in the building.  I know his job is demanding, but I have never once seen him when he wasn't
smiling and pleasant.  He is one of those people who can brighten my day, and those of everyone he sees, without saying a word. 

Since I hadn't talked with him in a while, I decided that I would make a conscious connection.  As I turned to walk into the galley where he stood by a vending machine, I started to say, "Your smile brightens my day!" just about the time he was saying something similar to me.  We laughed and talked briefly about how a good smile could just brighten the day.

Then he said the name of a work colleague, a man with developmental delays, who has a great smile.  He does, and I think the man knows almost all of our 1,000 people.  He always has a pleasant smile and a funny word.  What he may lack in other abilities, he more than gives back with his smile and humor.

The day had evolved differently than I had expected.  A very long meeting that I had expected to be unpleasant played out with humor, and in a group that had been working together for months, we actually got to know each other a bit.  Our work was still onerous, but much more enjoyable than other days during which humor had been absent.

While my day was enriched by people who smiled, laughed, and connected pleasantly, occasionally someone walks through my life who brings a negative shadow.  They always have an unpleasant word to say, and when I see them coming, I often try to avoid them. No matter how I try to be pleasant, they resist. While the smilers make my day, those who are dour can kill it.  The way I see it, we always have a choice.  If we have the intention of making the world better, then we bring the smile and the laughter.  Why not? It is way more fun than leaving a wake of negativity around us.

This round of the Grocery Store Game (12/1/13) continues to surprise me as I make connections in ways that surprise me.  Today's connections were with people with whom I've been interacting, but today was characterized by humor and interest that usually isn't part of the interaction.   What seems to be a consistent part of The Grocery Store Game is that when I reach out to connect with others to honor them, each person brightens my day.  Give a little with the expectation of giving and surprise! I get a lot back.

No comments:

Post a Comment