Saturday, January 25, 2014

Unbridled joy

I am not accustomed to being around children. Yesterday a visit with a friend allowed me some non-adult growth.

I watched a 15- month old who napped while her mother ran an errand. I had been reading when I heard something. What was it? Not a cry. I dashed to the door of her room where I waited. Giggling. I waited longer. Humming. Blowing bubbles. The sounds of a happy baby.

Because babies are such a mystery to me, I just listened for quite a while. When I finally opened the door, she broke into a big smile, which I, of course, returned.

For the remainder of our time together, she would occasionally break out into laughter or a big grin at the slightest provocation. I had to pause and wonder at what a delightful life I would live, if I just allowed myself the unprovoked and unbridled joy this baby had been experiencing...and this on a day when she had a cold.

There is an expression about "out of the mouths of babes," which points to the wisdom that can come from little ones. Wisdom comes to me today in this one's attitude. I will bring the intention to experience unbridled joy...for no reason...for just this weekend.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment