Thursday, January 9, 2014

Showing Up

"Just write!"  For over 20 years I've had a file, named "Just write!" on whatever was my then-current computer. When I needed to write something--a chapter in a book, a newspaper column, or an article for my employer newsletter--and didn't feel inspired, I'd just open that file and start writing whatever came to my mind without any censorship.  Once I started writing, the words always started flowing, and by the time I'd finished, I usually had some really good material.  Of course, I usually had to heavily edit or even cut the beginning, but when I totally surrendered to my muse, magic happened.

Since I started writing this blog almost four months ago, I've almost never been at a loss for words.  Often times, I'll have a waking thought, hear a phrase that resonates with me, or even feel myself inspired by another topic after I've posted and turned off my computer at night.  I keep a list, and most of the time, when I just look at the list, something inspires me.  I like some of the topics on my current list, but none feel right for today.  When I listened, what I heard was "just write!"  This may be my inner knowing's equivalent of Woody Allen's "80 percent of life is just showing up."

What to say?  It's always been important for me to write just exactly what I hear.  Like, "what to say?" Then, more comes.  I am very tired.  It has been a very busy week, and the first in several weeks during which we've worked five days. A lot of potential clients decide that the start of the year is a good time to work with their teams, like a professional New Year's Resolution.  I still struggle with an eye that hasn't worked well for some time and seems to be even worse since September surgery. It is very tired tonight. This all feels like drivel to me. Why don't I just give it up tonight? Because "80 percent of life is just showing up," when I don't feel like it and don't have anything to say.

I will spare you any more drivel, but will leave with this thought: where in my life/where in your life is it time to just show up?  I am sure this relates to yesterday's listening.  Just listen to where it is time for you to show up...and then show up!

No comments:

Post a Comment