Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Celebrating little successes

A pilot once explained to me what happens when I fly from one major city to another, say from New York to San Francisco.  Although the pictures in the airline magazines draw the route as a nice arc from one city to the other, the journey is really anything but a perfect arc.  Imagine a zigzag arc, like it was cut with pinking shears. While the aviator is going east to west, there are many north and south adjustments to keep the plane on course.

After yesterday's post, I headed to bed thinking about how hard I am on myself sometimes for not getting "it"--whatever it is--perfectly.  Sometimes I miss my target a little in one direction.  Then I adjust and miss it a little in the other.  All in all, I like to think that similar to the course of the airplane, I know where I want to go but doing so on an arc that looks a bit like it was cut with the pinking shears.

What I hope is most important is that I am attempting to live a conscious life.  I sincerely want to connect with others, heart to heart.  I yearn to have this planet be a more loving place.  Whether I go on autopilot for part of each day and miss opportunities to connect with others is less crucial than that I actually did so three times today.  Today, I celebrate the little successes and know that most of the time, I am headed in the direction of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment