Monday, October 21, 2013

Feeling My Heart

In less than a minute, I can transform my world.  All I need to do is to close my eyes, concentrate on my heart space, and "breathe into my heart."  I can't really explain how I "breathe into my heart."  I understand the physiology of breathing which involves nose, mouth, windpipe, bronchial tubes, lungs, and diaphragm.  There may be other parts, but I am fairly confident that the heart isn't one of them.

Yet, as I concentrate on my heart while I am breathing, something magical happens, my heart seems to get bigger and "vibrates"--a warm and wonderful sensation that defies description.  Even more remarkable is when I imagine the breath coming through the front of my body directly into my heart.  All I need to do is 3-5 of these "heart breaths" while saying "I AM."  It reminds me that I am here to reflect God.

Every bit of tension melts from my body, my jaw relaxes, and suddenly I am able to be present only to what is in front of me. 

What is really remarkable, other than a part of my body that isn't supposed to be involved in respiration actually "breathing" is that I don't do this more often during the day.  I am back to work again today, and as much as I had pledged to stay present--to reflect God and receive God from others--I quickly slipped into autopilot.  I was nearly home when I noticed the tension in my shoulders reminding me to breathe into my heart.  Almost as fast as I had the thought and started to breathe, the magic happened, as it always does.

This should be a no-brainer, but clearly the only "no brain" part of it for me is no brain between my ears engaged in remembering how simple it is to connect.  Another choice point for me--that time and place when I become conscious, recognize that I have a choice, and choose differently...in this moment.  For this moment, I am choosing differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment