Sunday, October 20, 2013

BEing the Nature of God

Back in the day when I owned an automobile, I enjoyed taking road trips.  As I drove alone down the highway, I often slipped into repeating a mantra or affirmation of something I wanted to bring into my life.  I would repeat it hundreds of times during my trip.  What was quite remarkable was how often a deeper level of understanding would just gently float into my awareness during the repetitions--Aha! moments. 

I really don't remember what the mantra that generated it was, but I do recall having a thought toward the end of a trip about 15 years ago that continues to both inspire and terrify me.  The thought was that the only way humans have to experience God is through each other.  If we want others to know God's Love, we need to demonstrate it to them: they will know it through our behaviors.  If we want others to know God's Forgiveness, we need to demonstrate it to them: they will know it through our behaviors.  God Nature is reflected through each of us to all human kind.

What a concept!  That I could allow everyone with whom I come in touch to experience God by how I relate to them is inspiring me.  I hope that it is equally clear why that is so terrifying.  As much as I try, I know the frequency with which my behaviors reflect what I want others to know of God isn't near what I would like it to be. I think that I am usually a good person, but I do get irritable and impatient from time to time.  Perhaps even more embarrassing is how much of my life proceeds on autopilot.  I'd hate to think that God puts us on autopilot.  Even more uncomfortable for me, the author of a book about "BEing" is how often I "do" things with people instead of "BE" with them. 

Since retyping The Game Called Life a couple weeks ago, this whole thing about BEing the Nature of God has been with me.  What "floated in" today is not how I reflect God (though for me that is still a concern,) but how I receive God from others.  In my autopiloting through life what wonders that God wanted to share with me have I blown off because I wasn't paying attention.  In my "doingness" how often have I missed the opportunity to "just BE" with God through another human being who is reflecting the nature of God.

Today I have new understanding of the Sanskrit greeting--"Namaste," still used in India and Nepal. "I bow to the God within you."  When I bow to the God within you, and you bow to the God within me, it is said, "We are One."  What if I just took responsibility both to be a reflection of the Nature of God and to be present to the reflection of the Nature of God in those around me?  What a ripple I could create.

No comments:

Post a Comment