Thursday, October 17, 2013

Celebrating the Ordinary


Just minutes after midnight with the stroke of President Obama’s pen, I got my job (and my paycheck) back.  Something has been different all day. My usual workday wake-up call at 5:20 a.m. didn’t seem as painfully early as it usually does.  Despite some confusing communication relating to calling us back to work, my morning routine was, well, routine.  I walked out of the door at almost the same time I always do, joyfully accepted my free tabloid paper from the distributor, and jumped on the escalator down to the train.  I waited about two minutes for my train, changed trains at the normal station, and arrived at work to say “Good morning!” to the same security guard who frequently greets me.  While my computer was booting up, I took my lunch to the refrigerator.  I headed to a meeting that I normally just tolerate.

It was at that point that I began to notice something different this first day back after a 16-day furlough.  Although I was doing all the same things, I was consciously appreciative that I was getting to do them today.  After returning to my office and the stacks that awaited me, I smiled to myself as I joyfully jumped in to another routine task.  Sometimes it takes a jolt out of the routine to make me appreciate the ordinary.  Today I am celebrating the ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment